Monday, April 20, 2009

Just getting back from a full weekend in NYC!




Hey all!

I just wanted to share my adventures this weekend in regard to IT and the environment. I know, I know… it’s not that often that we hear about “Green IT” but it’s becoming more and more prevalent in the world as we strive to be more power conscious, reduce carbon emissions, and get the full bang for our buck from servers.

My wife and I ventured to the Hilton hotel in uptown NYC to check out the Go Green Expo. You can check it out here: http://www.gogreenexpo.com/

We both do what we can in terms of using CFLs for our home lighting and unplugging our cell phone chargers/laptop cords when not charging anything (they do draw a significant amount of watts if you leave them plugged in) but we wanted to see all the splendor that is an environmentally friendly world. She was there mainly to check out environmentally friendly clothing companies (she’s in fashion) but I wanted to see Dr. Albert Esser of DELL and his “Revealing your Hidden Data Center” presentation.

Well, let me tell you… it was very impressive. Not so much about DELL, but more about being environmentally conscious in the purchase of our own systems and knowing where the carbon is coming from. In reality, we are our own CIOs (I can’t take credit for that little bit of literary genius, thanks Dr. Esser!) and every time we make purchasing decisions, it is our responsibility to be as environmentally conscious as possible.

Oh, and the next time you see a tree… give it a hug!


~Matt S.


P Please consider the environment before printing this blog J


No comments:

Post a Comment